Mold


The key to mold control is moisture control.  It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

If mold is a problem:

  • Clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture.
  • Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water.
  • Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
  • Absorbent materials (such as ceiling tiles and carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced.

If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, refer to EPA's Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings.

Generally, it is not necessary to identify the species of mold, and neither EPA, OSHA, or CDC recommends routine sampling for molds. Furthermore, reliable sampling for mold can be expensive, and standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable or tolerable quantity of mold have not been established. There is always some mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Currently, there are no federal regulations or industry standards for airborne mold contaminants; standards or Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) for airborne concentrations of mold, or mold spores, have not been set.

Brief Guide to Mold (EPA)

Basic Facts & FAQ about Mold (CDC)

Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings (EPA)

AIHA Fact Sheet on Mold

Mold Resources for Schools

Preventing Mold-Related Problems (OSHA) -Guide for the indoor workplace