This section of the tour addresses the recordkeeping requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), which govern hazardous waste management. Although it is typically up to the central EH&S or Facilities Management offices of a college or university to maintain RCRA recordkeeping, other personnel at some schools may have some responsibility in this regard. You'll find a summary of relevant information in this section; for more in-depth descriptions of what is required, refer to the expanded content section.
Depending on how your college or university is classified as a generator of hazardous waste [Large Quantity Generators (LQGs), Small Quantity Generators (SQGs) or Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQGs)], your facility may be required to have the following:
- EPA Identification Numbers (SQG and LQG facilities only)
- Manifests, including documentation that the waste shipment was received and treated or disposed of at the waste facility (SQG and LQG facilities only)
- Certification of Land Disposal Restriction (LDR) Notification with Manifests
- Source reduction strategy and the ability to sign a manifest stating such
- Biennial Reports (LQG facilities only)
- Copies of Waste Analysis to document proper hazardous waste identification
Continue on through this section to learn more about the record keeping requirements of RCRA.